How to Connect with God Spiritually
As a Christian, do you ever think about how to connect with God spiritually while you teach?
A few days ago, I woke up hearing this song in my spirit:
“Without Him I could do nothing, without Him I’d surely fail. Without Him life would be sinking, like a ship without a sail.” Mylon Le Fevre, Without Him
This struck a chord in me. I was getting ready for the hustle and bustle of another busy day, and I pondered what the Lord was saying.
“I am the vine, you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.” John 15:5, New International Version
For most of my teaching career I lived a compartmentalized life. I woke up, had my quiet time with God, went to school, then switched to auto-pilot the moment I walked through my classroom door. I charged up spiritually during my morning time with God, spent all my energy in the classroom teaching, then left depleted at the end of the day. My day began and ended with Him, but I rarely considered how to connect with God spiritually during the school day.
Many of us do this. We start our days with God, then when the pressure of the day comes, we start to do things on our own. It’s not intentional. We don’t intend to do it this way, but when the first crisis of the day comes – the lesson that doesn’t go the way we intended, the student who tries our patience, the unexpected e-mail from an upset parent – we go into auto-pilot to accomplish everything that needs done throughout the day. It’s exhausting!
What if we knew how to connect with God spiritually throughout the entire day? What if we had His constant strength, wisdom, and guidance throughout the day in our classrooms? Actually, that’s the way God intended it to be! He intends for us to live life with His help every moment of the day!
“And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you.” John 14:16, English Standard Version
From the time you wake up in the morning to the time you go to bed at night, Holy Spirit is there to help you! God never intended for you to do things without Him, but sometimes it takes a spark in our awareness to remember that we can live every moment connected to Him – even while we teach!
Practicalities of How to Connect with God Spiritually while you Teach
Let me share some practicalities of what this might look like as you teach:
- Start your day with God! Don’t be religious or legalistic about it, but let Him set your day in order as you spend time with Him.
- At school, ask God to be present with you while you teach. Ask Him to fill your classroom with His Presence. Ask Him to help you and your students during the day.
- Give yourself a moment to compose yourself during difficult situations, and ask God to show you what to do. Ask Him to show you the words to say and the strategies you need to handle each thing that comes your way.
- Pray for your students throughout the day. As you see your students’ struggles and succeses, pray for them. Ask God to help them where they’re struggling and to affirm them where they’re succeeding.
- Pray without ceasing through your day. (1 Thessalonians 5:17) Keep an ongoing dialogue going with God as you go through your day.
The Blessings of Staying Connected
We were made for relationship with God. Our lives are meant to be sourced from our relationship with Him. Remember the result when we live connected to the vine? We will bear fruit! (John 15:5)
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self control…” Galatians 5:22, English Standard Version
I’m not saying there won’t be difficult moments or draining days; however, once you discover how to stay connected to God spiritually throughout your day, both you and your students will be blessed! Through Him you will have the strength and wisdom to face any challenge that comes your way!